Cauliflower casserole à la Astoria
This dish also came from the New York Cookbook; I served it last year
at Gramma’s house in place of the usual Sloppy Canned Green Bean/Canned Cream
of Mushroom Soup casserole, and I’d like to think it was a decided
improvement! With a busy oven on Thanksgiving, I’d suggest making this early
on up to Step 4, and then popping it in the oven to brown while you’re
whipping potatoes, carving turkey and making gravy. The recipe doesn’t specify
fresh oregano, but I’d insist on it.
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1 ½ cups chicken broth
- 1 tomato, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, or 1 ½ teaspoons dried
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 ½ fine dry bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place the cauliflower florets in an 11x9-inch baking pan. Pour on the
broth. Sprinkle the minced tomato, oregano, salt and pepper over the
cauliflower. Add the feta cheese and toss well.
- Cover the pan with foil. Bake for 45 minutes. Remove the foil and continue
baking until the cauliflower is very tender, 30 minutes longer.
- Toss the bread crumbs with the olive oil. Sprinkle the crumbs over the
cauliflower. Bake until the crumbs are golden brown, an additional 30